Among the hills of Bologna, about 30 km from the capital of Emilia Romagna, lies the medieval village of Castello di Serravalle. It consists of a group of buildings centered on a castle. Of the ancient fortification, which gives the town its name, what remains today is the elegant 1700s palace, the medieval tower and the adjacent gardens. All sold today on idealista for almost 2 million euros
Its privileged position in the region, on a hill 320 meters above sea level, made it a strategic military point halfway between northern Europe and Ancient Rome. Its history dates back to the time of the Caesars, although the oldest fortification was built in the 16th century.
Restoration and conservation work has allowed the Boccadiferro Palace, named after the noble family that owned it until the 19th century, to remain alive and even habitable. The total area is for sale is 14,812 m2, which includes over 10,000 m2 of the castle park, landscaped area where the ancient moat surrounding the city was located.
The building has an area of 1,150 m2 with 20 rooms, while the caretaker’s house has 308 m2 divided into two floors. For its part, the medieval tower has 296 m2. It is currently used for events and celebrations.
A place rich in history
Since ancient times fortification has been at the center of countless disputes. It was known in Roman times as Verabulum and was one of the fortifications intended for protects the borders of the empire. It was then conquered and destroyed by the Lombards in the 8th century. Rebuilt on its ancient foundations, in the 9th century saw Charlemagne pass, headed to Rome to be crowned emperor.
Until 1109 it was a fiefdom of Matilde de Canossa, Grand Countess, one of the most important Italian nobles of the Middle Ages. After his death he was a very disputed part among the Ghibellines of Modena and the Guelphs of Bologna for its obvious military strategic importance. Of the ancient fortification, only the medieval gate and the medieval tower, built in 1227 and restored in 1523, survive today.
The imposing palace known as Palazzo Boccadiferro was one of his residencesthis noble family until the end of the nineteenth century. For opera lovers, composer Gioachino Rossini married his second wife, Olympe Pélissier, here in 1846 and was the setting of a part of the opera “Love and Death” by the composer Gaetano Luporini in 1921, which tells the story of the ghosts of the wives of the “cruel Boccadiferro”.